Pay Equity Assistance
Pay Equity Workshops!
Expert-led pay equity workshops will be held across the state this fall. There are efforts employers can undertake to avoid or limit liability. These workshops will show the way.
AIM HR Solutions can help you Prepare for Compliance with the Massachusetts Pay Equity Act
The Massachusetts Pay Equity Act seeks to establish equal pay between men and women performing comparable work. Effective July 1, 2018, the law creates several new mandates for Massachusetts employers.
A) Employers must demonstrate efforts to both identify and eliminate gender-based pay discrepancies.
B) Employers may not take adverse action against employees who inquire about or discuss pay information.
C) Employers may not inquire into the salary history of applicants.
The law allows for both individual and class actions. However, it also provides protection to employers who have within the past three years both completed a self-evaluation of its pay practices in good faith and can demonstrate that reasonable progress has been made towards eliminating wage differentials based on gender.
Massachusetts employers need a comprehensive strategy to avoid liability.
AIM HR Solutions can help by:
- Identifying the skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions for each position and document them is well-crafted job descriptions
- Determining which positions perform comparable work
- Analyzing pay by gender across comparable positions, incorporating allowable differentials such as length of service, merit, education and training, productivity, geography or travel.
- Developing strategies to eliminate gender-based differentials
- Writing pay transparency policies
- Training hiring managers on proper pre-employment inquiries
Employers should start as soon as possible to meet the July 1, 2018, deadline for compliance.
For more information on pay equity assistance, please fill out the contact form below or contact Russ Sullivan at RSullivan@AIMHRSolutions.com.